Fires caused by laundry might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of house fires, but they are more common than you might think.
As a homeowner in Santa Fe, it's important to be aware of the potential fire hazards associated with laundry and take steps to prevent them. Here are some tips to help you avoid laundry-related fires in your home:
- Clean your dryer vent regularly: One of the leading causes of dryer fires is a clogged dryer vent. Over time, lint and other debris can build up in the vent, creating a fire hazard. To prevent this, clean your dryer vent at least once a year, and more often if you do a lot of laundry.
- Don't overload your dryer: Overloading your dryer can cause it to overheat and potentially start a fire. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for load size, and avoid cramming too many clothes into the dryer at once.
- Remove lint from the dryer after each use: Cleaning out the lint trap after each use is important, but you should also periodically clean out the lint that accumulates around the drum and in the vent. This will help prevent a buildup of flammable material inside the dryer.
- Don't leave your dryer running unattended: It's important to be present when your dryer is running, so you can quickly respond if something goes wrong. If you need to leave the house or go to bed, make sure the dryer is turned off.
- Avoid using dryer sheets: While dryer sheets can make your clothes smell fresh, they can also leave behind a residue that can build up in your dryer and increase the risk of a fire. If you must use dryer sheets, use them sparingly and clean your dryer more frequently.
By following these tips, you can help reduce the risk of a fire caused by laundry in your Santa Fe home. However, accidents can still happen, and if you do experience a fire in your home, it's important to act quickly and call for professional help. At SERVPRO of Santa Fe, we specialize in fire damage restoration and can help you get your home back to its pre-fire condition. Contact us today to learn more about our services.